Ok, I’m a health guru. I do this kinda stuff for a living and strongly suggest that you don’t try it at home without professional guidance. Also, it’s Sunday; you’re supposed to do different kinds of things on Sunday. I don’t usually write about health stuff, so, I’m being different today.
That being stated, I want to tell you… Eat butter, please! Only give margarine to those you don’t like.
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. It ended up killing the turkeys (not good or desirable). The investors who’d poured their hard earned profits into the research that indicated margarine would fatten turkeys wanted to recoop their losses.
How do you market a white substance with no food appeal? You add yellow coloring (to make it look like butter), clever (though artifical) new flavorings and knock butter has bad for you. Then you tout this new fangled product as the “butter killer.” And, “bingo!” you create a whole new market that attacks something good with something that isn’t.
Just for the record (I have to do that, you know), do you know the difference between margarine and butter?
To start with, both have the same amount of calories.
- Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams
- Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods
- Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!
- Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods
- Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years
And now, for Margarine..
- Very high in trans fatty acids
- Triple risk of coronary heart disease. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study
- Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
- Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold
- Lowers quality of breast milk
- Decreases immune response
- Decreases insulin response
And here’s the most disturbing fact…. margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.
Not good, huh?
Want to do a little science experience? Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or in a shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:
- no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)
- it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
So “butter up” your margarine eating friends and give ’em a new lease on life!